Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And now to Kirk.

So I specifically asked Kirk to pray for me because Kirk is a prayer warrior. He is one of those people who, from what I have seen, has a gift of prayer and really takes it extremely seriously. So when I asked Kirk to pray for me I knew he would not only pray, but really take that responsibility to heart. So when I got a text Tuesday morning that said, “Prayed for you. Remember the ravens that fed Elijah. God will take care of ya.” I knew Kirk really had prayed and no matter where he pulled that story about Elijah from, (meaning if God told him or if Kirk just thought it was a good one,) I knew I needed to revisit it.

The story about Elijah and the ravens is in 1 Kings 17: 1 – 7.
Now Elijah, who was from Tishbe in Gilead, told King Ahab, "As surely as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives--the God whom I worship and serve--there will be no dew or rain during the next few years unless I give the word!" Then the LORD said to Elijah, "Go to the east and hide by Kerith Brook at a place east of where it enters the Jordan River. Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring you, for I have commanded them to bring you food." So Elijah did as the LORD had told him and camped beside Kerith Brook. The ravens brought him bread and meat each morning and evening, and he drank from the brook. But after a while the brook dried up, for there was no rainfall anywhere in the land.

So I decided to go and read about ravens in particular. I wikipedia’d them and then I came across a commentary that was really awesome. It talks about Elijah and how he was hidden and protected from the famine by God. Then it talks about the ravens and I was amazed.

But why ravens?
[1.] They are birds of prey, ravenous devouring creatures, more likely to have taken his meat from him, or to have picked out his eyes (Prov. 30:17); but thus Samson’s riddle is again unriddled, Out of the eater comes forth meat.
[2.] They are unclean creatures. Every raven after his kind was, by the law, forbidden to be eaten (Lev. 11:15), yet Elijah did not think the meat they brought ever the worse for that, but ate and gave thanks, asking no question for conscience’ sake. Noah’s dove was to him a more faithful messenger than his raven; yet here the ravens are faithful and constant to Elijah.
[3.] Ravens feed on insects and carrion themselves, yet they brought the prophet man’s meat and wholesome food. It is a pity that those who bring the bread of life to others should themselves take up with that which is not bread.
[4.] Ravens could bring but a little, and broken meat, yet Elijah was content with such things as he had, and thankful that the was fed, though not feasted.
[5.] Ravens neglect their own young ones, and do not feed them; yet when God pleases they shall feed his prophet. Young lions and young ravens may lack, and suffer hunger, but not those that fear the Lord, Ps. 34:10.
[6.] Ravens are themselves fed by special providence (Job 38:41; Ps. 147:9), and now they fed the prophet. Have we experienced God’s special goodness to us and ours? Let us reckon ourselves obliged thereby to be kind to those that are his, for his sake. Let us learn hence, First, To acknowledge the sovereignty and power of God over all the creatures; he can make what use he pleases of them, either for judgment or mercy. Secondly, To encourage ourselves in God in the greatest straits, and never to distrust him. He that could furnish a table in the wilderness, and make ravens purveyors, cooks, and servitors to his prophet, is able to supply all our need according to his riches in glory.


So God shows us that he can use messengers of any sort to bring us what we need to be fed and all we have to do is trust in Him and His ways.

So no matter how I feel about my current job situation I should see in it what Elijah saw the ravens, that God will provide for me and get me through this. As much as this might seem horrible I am sure God will provide me with my own ravens to feed and fuel my life through this famine and that I will come out on the other side full and protected as He has promised.

Dustin Kensrue says it pretty well in his song, Consider the Ravens.
Between the river and the ravens I'm fed
Between oblivion and the blazes I'm led
So father give me faith, providence and grace
Between the river and ravens I'm fed
Sweet deliverer, oh you lift up my head
and lead me in your way


Thanks Kirk. (or as Kirk reminded me yesterday, Thank you Jesus.)

No comments: