Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This came across my path this morning.

It's not one of the things I wanted to blog about from my trip but it's definitely one of my favorite topics. So I came across "10 Ways to Reduce your Environmental Footprint," and most of them are very doable. I think a lot of times we just don't think about the things we consume and the impact one little change can make.

Here's the list:

1. Eat less beef, pork, and lamb
2. Eat out at restaurants less often
3. Eat fewer dairy products
4. Drink fewer soft drinks
5. Eat seasonal and local fruits and vegetables
6. Eat fewer packaged snacks and junk food
7. Upgrade to an energy efficient refrigerator
8. Eat wild fish that are not endangered
9. Drink less bottled water
10. Walk to your local farmers market or grocery store

I already have been working on #1, #6 and #9. I've embarked on a vegetarian journey, I am working on buying my snacks out of the bins at stores like Henry's and bought a stainless steel water bottle for my water a couple months ago that I really love.

You can find the whole article here, and I think you'll be surprised at how much waste comes from cheese and soda. And it kind of blew my mind that "It takes 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of bottled water." Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: