Ok, I know, I'm a total woman. This blog was supposed to be titled "Sex and the City and The View" which also makes me a total woman, but I figured it was imperative to point out what I am currently watching.
I've been thinking about writing this blog for over a week now. I guess I just haven't gotten around to it or maybe I've been marinating on the topic...anyhow...here's how it all started.
I was watching The View, which I do everyday now that I work from home and for the most part I really don't pay attention to it but sometimes a topic or guest catches my eye. This time it was Edie Falco, she played the wife on The Sopranos, they were talking to her about some new show she's on but that wasn't what caught my attention, what caught my attention was the fact that she has adopted two kids, a boy and a girl. Then after Edie the next guest, Nia Vardalos, (you know the girl from My Big Fat Greek Wedding,) was on. She talked about her 3 year old daughter who she just adopted from foster care.
Then that was when it hit me, these two women both very famous with lives that are successful by many standards both felt like they were missing something, children, and they both chose adoption. Nia Vardalos tried for 10 years to have a child when she and her husband decided that adoption was what was best for them. I think it's even more inspiring that she chose to adopt a 3 year old from the foster care system because so many people won't consider foster children. With Edie Falco it was a little bit different, she isn't married. She just really wanted children, so she adopted two.
I wonder if I could ever adopt children alone. I mean if I were married I would love to adopt. I personally have no desire to have a child that carries my DNA, I would gladly do it for my husband if it was something he really wanted but I just feel like there are already so many kids out there that need parents. But could I do that alone, would I want to do that alone? I don't know. I think about it a lot, if I continue to live a single life then at what point do I say to myself that I want children badly enough to adopt? I don't know the answer to this question. It's definitely not now or any time soon but I often think about whether or not I could raise a child alone.
Then there was the Sex and the City movie. That movie hinges on the fact that some relationships are unconventional and the second we try to place societal norms on these relationships then often times you lose the magic. Evidenced in the movie by Carrie and Mr. Big's wedding, or lack therof, and then their later wedding.
This also got me thinking. I have unconventional views of marriage. Maybe that's because of my life; divorced parents at 3, mom divorced again at about 19, my dad refusing to marry again but having the same girlfriend since I was 13. I just wonder sometimes if a conventional marriage relationship is right for everyone, I'm not talking biblically just more socially I guess. I wonder often if I will end up married or single or something in the middle...but I guess I do know that I won't end up in the typical movie romance. I'm just not the typical movie romance girl.
Idk, a lot of things have been swirling around in my head lately. I'm 99% sure that it all comes from the fact that nothing in my life is stable and change is sure to be coming in every part of my life. Which is exciting and scary and makes me think about everything even more than I would normally, which is a lot since I over analyze EVERYTHING.
BTW, if you've never seen The Sweetest Thing you really should, it's fantastic.
AND...Clueless just started. I'm never going to sleep...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Did you and Christina watch this together? She commented about it too! I love that movie, it's so over the top and hilarious!
Post a Comment