Monday, May 12, 2008

Ok, this is the last blog of the day...

So apparently today is a day for blogs. I haven't blogged in two weeks and here I am posting four in one day. I guess I am making up for lost time.


So, this is really important. You listening now? There was a huge cyclone in Myanmar, (Burma,) and the death toll has risen from 3,500 to over 31,000 and there are expected to be over 2 million people facing disease and starvation. There is a great story about it here, http://wcbstv.com/topstories/myanmar.us.aid.2.721577.html. The U.S. is sending aid in the form of food and medical supplies and I am doing the best I can by praying for the people of Myanmar. I encourage you to do the same, or better yet do something more and GO HELP! ;) I wish I could.

Now to one of my favorite topics, Fair Trade. I finally used my birthday gift certificate from Mike, (thank you Michael,) to buy this amazing Vietnamese tea infuser and Ugandan coffee.


He got me a gift certificate to Global Exchange an online Fair Trade store. I am a true believer in the fact that one person can make a difference. One of my favorite verses Isaiah 58:10 says, "And if you give yourself to the hungry And satisfy the desire of the afflicted, Then your light will rise in darkness And your gloom {will become} like midday." I mean it's amazing to me that God tells us to do something to help the suffering then our light will rise in darkness. I mean we can show God's love and light by simply helping those less fortunate than ourselves. Whether this is the man who sits on the freeway offramp with a sign that spells out his situation and his need for insulin or a child in Africa or Romania that just needs someone to show them God's love, we have the power to show them the light of God. That's HUGE.


I know that I will never forget the children of Romania, children who live in a situation that would never happen in America. Children witho simple diseases or handicaps that we would never let kids in America suffer through life with. Things that are easily healed or that can be easily healed.


I also know that I will never forget the children of Africa. Unlike the kids I saw in Romania, the African children were healthy but underfed and poor. Living in conditions that we don't even think of, living in cardboard houses with no walls or walking miles for clean water.


So, I buy Fair Trade for a few reasons one of them being that I don't ever want to be someone who contributes to the downfall of these children. I think that buying Fair Trade is just a small way that I can say I want my light to shine like midday.


Here are some pictures of Africa, (because of government restrictions we were not allowed to take pictures of the children in Romania.)


No comments: